Now I am a self-proclaimed movie guru…traced back to when in Uni I was consulted on what movies to borrow or catch at the theatre. Any trivia related to movies was always thrown at me and I rarely disappointed.
But in all that acclaim I have always harbored a deep dark secret…I had never watched ANY of the Star Wars movies. To make it worse I was not ashamed…and nor was I in a hurry. I made prequel jokes! I ridiculed all those crazy nuts that queued for tickets especially those in 1997 who made Lucas rich again by watching previously released movies.
So, inspired by 'Apprentice' Season IV- where there was this task where they were to promote the final episode. Randall a Harvard Graduate and Rhodes Scholar (Winner Apprentice IV) seemed so in tune with the whole genre…he was all “this is the most important episode where good turns evil…where Anakin turns into Darth Vader…”
And I was like Dayum…LAZIMA! So I went to my DVD guy in the street (No one can replace you Maitha!) and got me a 6 in 1 DVD.
VERDICT: I so totally get it! Move over Lord of the Rings: Star wars is the Ultimate movie Experience!!!
Now the problem with a Couch Tato is he'll prolly like everything he watches...but this is not the case.
1. It set standards so high in movie making even watching a 76 production doesn’t even hurt. It was what T2 and Matrix was in its day…and in fact Lucas’s Industrial Lights Company is what has brought Visual effects to life from T2, MUMMY…all pay homage to Lucas. Lucas invented special effects I tell you. That light saber (please make the sound effect with me!) The whole Composite effect originated not only from Star Wars but FOR Star Wars! From Aliens…Abyss…Jurassic Park...Perfect Storm they went calling to Lucas!
2. The storyline had me at hello! Luke, Yoda(my favorite) Darth, Hans, Leia, Obi Wan, Anakin, Quigon, Padme, Count Dooku, Windu….and the Emperor-the Ultimate Sith! Darth Sidious!
This is a fairy tale with mythic proportions-a tale that shall stand the test of time.
Characters with such personalities that shall forever live with you…not to forget R2D2 and C3PO.
The politics behind the senate and the entire empire...
The Dark Side!
3. Did I tell you how I love Yoda…oh and his perfect English? Oh and the fight between him and Count Dooku….
4.Oh and Yoda's Quotes:
"Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you."
"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."
"Always two there are, no more, no less: a master and an apprentice."
"When 900 years you reach, look as good, you will not."
5. Anakin Skywalker turning into Darth Vader-WOW WOW! With the fight scene with his Mentor Obi Wan Kanobi leaving him limbless and burned... If you are on the 'bilas' Train get u some Star Wars!
6. Who can ever forget Darth Vader “Luke. I am your Father!”
Star Wars to me has shown me a side to movies and story telling I had totally ignored. It’s a work of genius. Classic tale of Good and Evil. Fear being a resulting factor in one’s destiny towards the dark side!
If you haven’t watched Star Wars, I BEG you to. I totally understand why this is the most successful movie franchise…Why each Movie opened at number one and majority dominated the box office for that year including the re-released version.!
And my recommendation start halfway like the story was intended to be told!
Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: Empire Strikes Back, Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Episode II: Attack of the Clones and finally Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.
May the Force be with you!